Where Do I Find Further Information About Health and Safety Matters?


How can I qualify for the scheme?

To qualify for the scheme you must:

  • live outside the European Economic Area
  • 18years of age or more, and
  • be a student in full-time education.

How can I apply?

People who want to join the scheme must apply to the Operators. You can approach them directly, or through your university or college. The Operators give successful applicants a work card. This is like a Work Permit. You must then apply to your nearest British Diplomatic Post for Entry Clearance before you travel to the United Kingdom.
You must apply for the scheme from outside the UK.

How long can I stay in the UK under the scheme?

You can take part in the scheme for a minimum of five weeks and a maximum of six months at a time. You must leave the UK when your permission to stay is finished. You may apply for the scheme again after three months outside the UK if you continue to satisfy Home Office rules.

Can I apply to stay in the United Kingdom for longer than it says on my work card?

If there is work for you to do, you can apply to stay longer under the scheme, but only up to six months at the most. Your operator will need to give you another working card, and you will need to apply to the Home Office for permission to stay longer.

Can I change my employer while I am in the UK?

You can only work where the Operator places you. You can only change employer with the agreement of your Operator.

Can I switch to full work permit employment while I am in the United Kingdom?

You cannot switch into work permit employment from SAWS. If you have an offer of employment in the UK you must return home and apply at your nearest British Diplomatic post.

Can I leave the scheme?

If you want to leave the scheme, you must leave the UK.

Can I apply to stay in the UK permanently?

The scheme does not allow you to apply to stay in the UK permanently.

Can I bring my dependents with me under the scheme?

No, unless they qualify in their own right.

What can I do if something goes wrong?

Should you feel you have been unfairly dealt with under the SAWS arrangement, firstly you must approach your SAWS Operator, who will have internal procedures to address the complaint.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.